What to do whilst sitting on your nest.
If you are KL this is what you do
- Watch the world go by with eyesight 8 times sharper than a human’s.
- Feel the tremble of the eggs with your new chicks stirring inside.
- Turn the eggs every hour or so to ensure they are heated evenly. .
- Snuggle down so your warm brood patch is in contact with all the eggs.
If you are Unring
- Every 10 minutes get up and turn the eggs, get up and dig the nest cup a little deeper and turn the eggs, get up and turn around and turn the eggs, get up and turn the eggs and sit down. Start again.
- Shred up nest material into tiny pieces and then shred them up into tinier ones,
- See how many pieces of shredded material you can lay across your back and how far you can turn your head around to do this.
- There’s a breeze blowing from behind – lift your tail straight up and let the little gusts rock you forward and back and forward and back and for………. oops! That was a stronger than you expected. Who would have thought the nest was wide enough for a complete somersault?
- Sit with your tail down until it’s time to turn the eggs again.
Wonder what the neighbouring owls do?